As we near completion of the main library and the Sumpter Media Center, we are honing in on our schedule for opening both buildings.
Construction, furnishing, etc. is ongoing, so some of our dates are still tentative. If dates change, we will post the updates on this website.
- Monday, January 13, 2020 @ 10 am: Sumpter Media Center Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
Join us at the media center on 23465 Sumpter Rd., Belleville MI 48111 for a ribbon cutting ceremony, followed by the opening of the Belleville Area District Library Sumpter Media Center. Media Center hours will be Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday from 10 am – 3 pm; and Tuesday & Thursday from 3 pm – 8 pm. The Media Center features 11 public internet computers, children’s computers, copying, printing, faxing, and scanning. You will also be able to check out books and materials that you have on hold and return items there.
- Monday, January 13, 2020: The Fred C. Fischer Library Closes
We will close our current library so that we can relocate our book shelves, books and materials, install computers and technology, move office equipment and files, train staff, etc. While we are closed, the Sumpter Media Center will be open. You may also use your Belleville Area District Library Card at many of our neighboring libraries including Canton, Romulus, Wayne, and Ypsilanti. If you have library materials to return, you may still use our outdoor book return at the existing library.
- Friday, February 21, 2020 @ 6 pm: Mardi Gras Celebration of the Fred C. Fischer Library
Come bid the Fischer Library adieu, and celebrate the generations of library memories with us. This all-ages farewell Mardi Gras party will be held in the Fred C. Fischer Library building and will feature food, fun, and a New Orleans style jazz band.
- Around February 24, 2020: The New Belleville Area District Library Soft Opening
- Join the Book Brigade to help pass the last books from the old library to the new. (Date and time to be determined).